So you’ve heard about DevaCurl’s Curly Hair Mask Treatments.
You’re excited. You already bought both. Because, well, duh.
How do you choose which one to use first?!
There’s about a million different reasons to use a mask and a few different ways to do it, so we’re going to make things simple, and break it allllll down.
Curly Hair Products: Which mask is which?
First things first, you’ve got to remember that each of these treatment masks serves a different purpose.
Melt into Moisture is designed to nourish dehydrated curls, and restore moisture. If hair is feeling dry or tangled, this is your go to.
Deep Sea Repair is an ultra-reparative treatment designed to protect, repair, and restore hair. If your curls appear damaged and frizzy, this is the mask for you.
You can use the masks separately or together, to achieve the best possible result.
How To: Curly Hair Masks
So now it’s time to learn exactly how to use each mask. There’s a magic to the madness for each formula and we’ve got tips for each one, depending on your curl type – either wavy, curly, or super curly.
How to use Melt into Moisture:
You can apply the mask on wet or dry hair.
If you’re using it on wet hair, apply the mask thoroughly to wet hair in sections. For a quick moisture boost, let it sit for 3 minutes and rinse.
If you are having difficulty detangling, you can use Melt into Moisture on dry hair, using it like a pre-poo (aka a pre-shampoo). Apply it in sections as a pre-poo before cleansing. Just be sure to rinse-thoroughly in the shower, and then style as usual.
If you’re looking for more intense hydration you’ve got a few options:
- Cover hair with a plastic cap for 15-20 minutes, with or without heat.
- Or, apply to wet or dry hair and leave on overnight and rinse out in the morning.
You can use Melt into Moisture once a week, alternating with your regular One Condition or Heaven In Hair.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- If you’re wavy: Apply the mask from the mid-lengths to your ends, so you don’t weigh down your waves at the root. You can leave the product in for as little as three minutes.
- If you’re curly: Be sure to section your hair before applying the mask, to make application faster and easier. Be sure to apply the product from roots to ends.
- If you’re super curly: Make sure you section your hair before applying the mask, and let it sit on your hair for at least five to ten minutes before you start detangling – this gives the product time to absorb, and makes detangling even easier.
How to use Deep Sea Repair:
After applying, let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes then rinse thoroughly.
For the best results, slip on a plastic cap and apply heat, or cover with a DevaTowel to create body heat.
Another important note: you shouldn’t leave Deep Sea Repair in overnight. It’s super powerful and if left on too long can make your hair crunchy, and no one wants that.
Some other tips to keep in mind:
- If you’re wavy: Apply the mask from the mid-lengths to your ends, focusing on your ends.
- If you’re curly: Be sure to section your hair before applying the mask, to make application faster and easier. Distribute the product from roots to your ends.
- If you’re super curly: Section your hair before applying the mask, and start at your ends, working the product up towards the roots. For maximum results use heat from a hooded dryer, cap and towel, shower steam, or a hair steamer.
Multi Masking with Curly Hair:
Multi masking? Yep, it’s totally a thing. Maybe you’ve seen it in skin care, where girls put different types of masks on their face to combat different issues (oily t-zone, versus dry skin on the cheeks?).
Just like you can use multiple masks on your skin, you can use more than one mask on your hair. Combining our two new super masks, can get you even better results.
Here’s how to do it:
After cleansing, take equal parts of Melt Into Moisture and Deep Sea Repair and mix together in your hands. Apply to wet hair in sections.
Then use heat, to make sure the combination of product penetrates the hair. You can slip on a plastic cap and apply heat, or cover with a DevaTowel to create body heat. Leave-in for up to 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
Some other tips to keep in mind:
- If you’re wavy: Take equal parts from each mask, mix together in your hands, and then apply the product from the mid-lengths to your ends.
- If you’re curly: Be sure to start on wet hair, mix equal parts from both masks, and apply thoroughly.
- If you’re super curly: Mix equal parts of each mask together in your hands, and apply from roots to ends.
Shear Genius Salon, located at 666 Main Avenue Suite A104, Norwalk CT , is offering specials on select DevaCurl products all throughout August! Call to (203) 846-1200 book a consultation appointment with one of our expert hair stylists today.